SVU is a membership society dedicated to the advancement of noninvasive technology used in the diagnosis of vascular disease. The Society has a diverse membership of over 5,700 vascular technologists, surgeons, cardiologists, lab directors, academics, students and other professionals involved in the practice of vascular ultrasound, approximately 20% of whom are physicians.
SVU provides its
members with regional continuing medical education (CME) programs at
both introductory and advanced levels through a series
of webinars, in-person conferences and educational products. SVU offers over 18 CME credits for free per year as well as AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
From its headquarters in the Washington, DC suburbs, SVU maintains a strong and highly successful advocacy program. SVU works on issues affecting its members at the federal and state levels on a host of issues ranging from reimbursement, to state licensure, to musculoskeletal injury and more.
SVU also publishes a well-regarded quarterly medical
publication on vascular technology, the Journal for Vascular Ultrasound (JVU).
History of SVU
Established in 1977 in Columbus, OH, SVU is the only professional organization completely dedicated to the advancement of non-invasive vascular technology used in the diagnosis of vascular disease. The Society’s success for nearly 40 years is based on the active engagement of our diverse membership of vascular ultrasound professionals.
Key Dates in SVU History
- Formed in 1977 in Columbus, OH, as SNIVT.
- Moved in 1986 from Columbus, OH, to Washington, DC.
- Name changed from SNIVT to SVT in 1988.
- SVT moved to Lanham, MD, in Dec. 1994 as an independently managed 501 (c) (3) non-profit professional medical society.
- Name changed from SVT to SVU in Sept. 2002.
- Celebrated its 30th Anniversary in 2007.
- Celebrated its 35th Anniversary in 2012.
Mr. Barton A Bean, RVT, FSVU
- Ms. Donna R Blackburn, RN, MS, RVT, FSVU
- Ms. Valerie J Crain, RN, BSN, RVT, FSVU
- Ms. Mitzi Ekers, MS
- Mr. Andrew C Hayes, BS, RVT
- Ms. Nancy R Macdonald, RN, BSN, RVT
- Mr. Mike McCloy
- Ms. Cynthia Ramirez-Matyi, RVT
- Mr. Victor J Wedel, RDMS, RT